Making a house a home

So, we've been living in this house for nearly two years and my mom says it looks like no one has moved in: the walls are bare and the decor leaves much to be desired. Every once in a while I get on a kick to spruce things up in the house but my bank account tells me, "No, you can't get that. You don't have the funds". So, after a few small purchases, I give up and, yes, my walls are still pretty bare.

Last month I decided our bedroom needs a major overhaul. Currently it consists of a queen bed on a frame with cheap bedding that never gets made (because, what's the point?), a table leaf set on a wrought iron frame of an old ugly side table serving as a "nightstand" and the baby's much nicer furniture. The so-called nightstand is where I collect papers, CDs, books, and has become my catch-all. It gets bad, quickly. Let's not forget the box in the corner that has been there since we moved in... yes, two years. This room is no sanctuary. Even when tidy.

So, I've set out to change that...

First, I went to a furniture store and was prepared to go into debt for new bedroom furniture if that's what it took. I found a beautiful set, called my husband at work and, in a few short words, he burst my bubble.

Him: "Where is the furniture made?"
Me: "Vietnam"
Him: "Well, I'd go home and shop around. See if you can find something made in the US or Europe."
Me: "Oh, I can... but not for this price!" (which, was getting lower each minute I stalled on the purchase)

Needless to say, I was disappointed but he was right. I can't impulsively buy a set a furniture without at least looking at our options. I like to buy things that I know are NOT made by underpaid workers in sweatshops.

So, I went home and started shopping around. Sure enough, there was no way I could afford furniture made in the USA. To top it off, what I could find would cost so much in shipping and I don't like to buy what I can't see first.

I've decided to fix up old furniture that I find in thrift stores or at garage sales and, in some cases, make my own furniture. I've decided to fix up the house with do-it-yourself decor projects and to not stress about doing a little at a time. After, avoiding Pinterest for a very long time,  I finally joined up to gather some ideas. Thankfully, I don't yet need to join a group for Pinterest junkies but I am getting some great ideas!

I now have about 7 projects going on... in my mind. Now, to just prioritize them and put them into action!

I am determined to make this house a HOME!


0 Responses